Friday, September 24, 2010

Why I am a Fish Out Of Water

Why did I name myself Fish Out Of Water? The name in a way explains itself. That is how others view me and how I view myself. I have spent many hours of my life in a swimming pool. I swim almost every day. And I have since I was 5 years old.
I learned to swim when I was two years old. I come from a family of swimmers, and my parents just “threw me in the water” until I could swim. Soon after, I was on the local swim team.
At the same time, my parents also had me try out other sports such as basketball, soccer, and volleyball. But none of those worked out. Every single “land sport” I tried out for I was completely awful at. I was, and still am to this day, clumsy on land. Walking can even be a challenge for me. I always feel much more natural in the water.
I have competitively swam since I was 5 years old. I chose UC Davis not only for the academics, but for the athletics, as I am a member of the women’s swim team.
Therefore the name Fish Out Of Water is essentially a simple description of myself. I love the water. I am a fish. When I am not swimming, I am out of my natural habitat. Swimming has and always will be a necessity in my life and I will always be proud to be a fish out of water.

No comments:

Post a Comment